Sunday, March 22, 2015

Retailing.....real tails

As someone involved in the rescue movement myself, I can say to you honestly, the bottom line is doing what is best for the individual dog.  Each dog is different.  Just like people they have different needs.  Some can tolerate older kids, some can not.  Some need special care and handling, or have special needs, some do not.  But at the end of the day, it's about them.  Each and every one, and if that's NOT the reason you're doing it, you're doing it wrong. 

Years ago, I got a phone call from a middle aged woman who had a 12 week old Scottie pup.  Her husband had just, unexpectedly, lost his job.  She was in a panic.  She didn't know what to do with the little guy.  They were looking at having to transfer to an apartment and it was either one that didn't accept dogs, or they lacked money for the deposit.  This was totally understandable.  I harbored no secret hatred in my heart for this woman, because she was obviously heartbroken, and only wanted what was best for her new puppy.


I honestly have never understood why shelter workers and rescuers treat people with such disdain.  I realize it's shallow to give up a dog because it doesn't match the new carpet, or their hubby has suddenly developed allergies.  How could it be described as anything but that?  BUT....don't you WANT that dog to go somewhere where it has at least a chance at a better life with an owner who would consider it more than a floor accessory?  Why on earth you would guilt or shame someone into keeping a dog in a perpetual state of neglect is beyond me.  I'm sure there are more than a double handful of people in this world who have relegated a dog to a chain, or the backyard, or a kennel because of the open shaming that rescuers, shelter workers, and dog owners in general are guilty of when people give up dogs for, what some may consider "less than reasonable" reasons.  Again, in my house, at the end of the day, it's all about the dogs, and the life they are living.  I have no time to waste my thoughts, energy or resources on someone who is shallow, narcissistic, fickle, or irresponsible. I have always held in high esteem, owners who take into consideration the needs of their pets, before their own personal wants.  Its not always the easiest thing to do. 

I met with the woman, who, tears streaming, handed her boy over to me.  I couldn't help but cry too.  She obviously loved the little guy to death.  (How could you not? He was a SCOTTIE after all...) We parted ways, and I took him home to start on his training before he was placed.  (Oh....and that's another thing.  Anyone calling themselves a rescue, that places ANY dog sight unseen, or within 24 hours of obtaining the dog, is nothing short of irresponsible in my eyes.  More on that in a minute.)  I was given his veterinary records, so he was good to go on that front, but I needed to get a feel for his personality, "torture" test him (and I use that term humorously and loosely) and do some basic training...leash walking, sits, downs, taking treats politely, house training, etc.  Stuff any good dog should know.  Our rescue's philosophy was to do everything possible to make sure that once placed, these dogs were NEVER given up again.  As a trainer, I went over and above to ensure this happened with every dog we took in. 

Two weeks later, I get a call from the same woman, asking if I had the puppy-boy still.  I said I did, certainly.  Their situation had miraculously changed, her husband had been fortunate in finding a job much more quickly than anticipated.  She wanted to know if she could have him back.  Without flinching, I said "yes".  I drove to meet her, and tears flowed again, this time of joy!  The baby was soooo happy to see his mama, and I was happy that I could return the pup to his original owner.  She offered me $100 for my troubles, I declined, and she vehemently insisted.  So I took her generous donation, and called it a successful and happy day. 

I could have placed that pup the day I got him.  I could have charged upwards of $600 for him, because he was still a puppy. I could have claimed that any "profit" I made from him, was put in the pot to help offset the cost of other rescues, that might have needed more expensive medical care.  I could have claimed that by signing the paperwork that she did when she gave him up, she had forfeited her rights to him...permanently.  I could have claimed that she was an unfit owner, because she chose to give him up, what may have appeared to some, hastily.  But I did none of those things.  I gave him back to a selfless owner, who cared enough to put HIM first.  THOSE are the types of homes that we look for in placing dogs through rescue!  I don't expect you to be rich, live on the "good"side of town, be a stay at home dog mommy or daddy, but if you care enough about a life outside yourself to deal with the emotional fallout of making the RIGHT decision for something totally reliant on your for their care and well being, you are the RIGHT home in my book!

If my feed on Facebook is any indication, "retail" rescue, or flipping dogs for money, is reaching epidemic proportions.  It seems almost daily I see another article on a dog who was just "retailed" or get an update on an owners legal battle to get back, what should still legally be theirs.  Owners who had the forethought to microchip their dogs, are having their dogs handed over to these "rescues" before even the standard shelter hold period is up.  Owners who as soon as they notice their dogs are missing, canvas neighborhoods, start putting up flyers, start calling shelters, vets and other agencies hoping someone has seen precious companion, are being told by "retailers" (when the owners finally catch up to them), that their dog either isn't going to be handed over, or it's been placed.  Typically, out of state.  Dogs are being stolen off the streets, and flipped like flapjacks to the tune of huge profits.  Typical rescues charge nominal fees that HELP cover (notice I said "help" and not "completely") any medical bills incurred by typical veterinary procedures that dogs need done before placement.  Such as, spay, neuter, heartworm test and/or treatment, vaccinations, worming, flea medication, and so on.    These dogs are being "placed" (if you can call it that, "sold" seems the better term) less than 24 hours after being picked up by the rescue.  And being sold for anywhere between half of what a REPUTABLE show breeder would charge, to in excess of that amount. And many times those animals have yet to see the inside of a vet's office.  Thats right.  100% pure, untaxed, non-profit, profit.  That, to me, is obscenely irresponsible.  Used car salesmen put more time into making sure a used car is running correctly than this, and I dare say are considerably more honest.  


Not to mention, they are manipulating the AR culture to make it easier for them to make a quick buck.  In the past 10 years, we have been bombarded with images of sad dogs and puppies in shelters, heads down, while tear jerking music wails away in the background.  I know some people who find it so upsetting they have to change the channel.  So unscrupulous folks have jumped on the bandwagon, and decided that creating a back story for a dog, throwing in a few key, choice words like; abused, neglected, and abandoned not to mention breeder, hoarder, puppy miller or irresponsible owner, and claiming to be saving these dogs from a horrible fate, are slapping a sizable price tag on these dogs, and making huge tax-free profits.

Answer this honestly: If someone told you a dog being offered from a rescue had been abused in any way, would you ask for proof?  I wouldn't, and I'm pretty skeptical and certainly not naive in any way.  I'm fairly sure most of us wouldn't ask for proof.  It's amazing as human beings, the amount of subconscious trust we put in other individuals, without ever thinking about it, or questioning it.  But I digress...

Rescues that place dogs in less than 24 or 48 hours after taking possession of them, are in my mind nothing but irresponsible.  If rescues main goal, is to ensure that NONE of these dogs are ever given up again (which is generally how we differentiate ourselves from shelters), how does that give you time to temperament test?  critter test?  test with children?  other pets?  make a vet appointment for a general wellness checkup?  make an appointment for spay or neuter surgery? (not to mention allow the dog to recover) take them out for a walk to see if they are afraid of traffic, motorcycles, crowds, loud noises, and so on?  How do you screen owners if you don't really take TIME to get to know the dog?  How can you make a successful placement, thereby doing the absolute best you CAN for the dog, if you never take a chance and at least get to know them on a personal level.  The answer is? You can't.  Those people are doing it to line their pockets and nothing more. 

Rescue is starting to get a very tarnished image because of these people.  Which in turn make people wary of dealing with us, and makes it harder for those of us who are legitimate rescues to save the few that we can manage.  The AR culture has set the stage.  They have learned how to turn on the emotions, (and consequentially turn off the logic), better than Walt Disney could have done himself.  They have made it easy for people to prey on and profit from peoples emotions, and those who really do love animals, their innate desire to help, even if it's just one at a time.  We need to take a stand against these "for profit" rescues.  We need to call them out.  We need to forward the stories, and support the owners, of those dogs who were "retailed" for profit.  We need to educate the public on what rescue REALLY is all about, and make them aware that it shouldn't come with a hefty price tag, nor lack of rudimentary vet care.  We need to point them out when we recognize them, so that Joe Petowner doesn't get fooled.  And we need to do it for the most important reason as well.  We need to do it for the dogs who are just being sold off left and right, without a care as to finding the "right" home.  When the "right" home is the first one standing there with an open wallet, we have sadly failed them already. 

2 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT article. Many good points and hard-hitting on how "rescue" is going astray. Ego and dollars---bad combo for "right action".

    ReplyDelete